Search This Blog


Monday, June 7, 2010

LOVING KINDNESS - UNIT 4

     To describe my experience, this is what occurred:

1. I visualized a loved one. This was my mother. I saw the two of us walking along the beach in our sundresses. Then, I saw a vision of us working in my mother’s organic garden that she has at her home in the Ozark mountains. Next, I let all of the love that I feel for her, fill my heart and then I sent this to her.

2. I took the love in my heart that I feel for my mother, and sent it to myself, while I sat in
a meditative state. During this meditation, I did not grasp at any way that I felt and I was at total peace with myself and the sensations of my body. After awhile, I went deeper into my mind and just “observed” what I felt. The sensations that I felt were those of having a full stomach of grape juice from the glass that I had, just prior to this exercise. I also felt the soft jersey sheet that was wrapped around my body and the coolness of the morning air. Finally, I felt rested and at ease.

3. I saw a loved one who was suffering. This was my father. I breathed in all of his pain and sadness from what happened during the Vietnam era, with my inhale. Then, I sent all my love and good will for him with my exhale.

4. I saw many strangers, who were suffering. I also breathed in all of their pain and sadness with my inhale, and then I sent love and good will for them with my exhale. I continued to do this same thing for my enemies.

This gave to me the sensation of 1) energy being lifted off of my shoulders and a 2) calmer state of mind.
In addition, I found that this exercise was somewhat difficult to do, during my first attempt. However, with my second attempt, it was much easier. I did find it to be beneficial in that I was able to end my day with thinking being able to think about my loved ones, and sending them good will. It also helped me to relax. I would recommend this to others because it does seem to lift negative energy from your shoulders and, very importantly, we all need to relax!


1. The concept of a mental workout, means to train the mind to think in a more positive way. This can be done from the use of a guided meditation. This is because, when we have thoughts of pure love, compassion and kindness, our brains set in a gamma wave status or to "go gamma." This has been clinically shown to improve our memory and perception. In addition, and after long term guided meditative practice, it also cause our normal mental state to “go gamma.” Ultimately, this helps end all suffering and produce a life of flourishing.

     So, spread the word "Go Gamma!"

No comments:

Post a Comment